Monday, July 2, 2012

Harpoon Leviathan

Harpoon Leviathan - Imperial IPA

 
Harpoon Brewery began in 1986 in Boston Massachusetts just before craft brewing began to become really popular in America and especially the Northeast. The founders wanted to bring the beer and choices they enjoyed about Europe to America, so they began the business. They brew 10 year round beers with a wide range of variety as well as seasonal beers, cider, and special beers.



The Leviathan Series is part of the special beers. There are 4 different Leviathan beers - Baltic Porter, Imperial IPA, Big Bohemian Pilsner, and Quad (a Belgian Strong Ale). I hope to get a chance to try each of these and compare them to each other.

The Imperial IPA is the first I have had from them (well I may have had one a while back at a restaurant, but that was before I was actively trying to remember what I drank). The beer has a high ABV - 10%. I normally like the higher percentage beers, but there was something a little different about this one. It poured an amber color with a thick white/tan head and smelled of hops and pine. The taste was not all that impressing as hinted at by the smell. There was a good amount of bitter on the front with some citrus coming through. The main taste of this beer was alcohol. I normally do not pick up on the boozy taste in beer, and I like that it be hidden from me. There are many more (and better) tastes to get from beer, I do not need to taste alcohol. So the unbalanced bitter hoppy-ness and overly alcoholic taste make this a brew I do not see myself coming back to. Being so strong, it is not one to sit and drink a few with, so I think I'll put this low on my list.

I am interested in coming back to the Leviathan series in order to see if the others follow this brew's tastes or are different. Have you had them? Leave me a comment or suggestion below.

No comments:

Post a Comment