Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Devils Backbone: Eight Point IPA

Another Virginia Brew!

Devils Backbone: Eight Point IPA



So there really isn't much about Devils Backbone on their website or their Wikipedia page. They are located out in Roseland, Va near Wintergreen and were opened in 2008. They are part of the Brew Ridge Trail. They have won awards at both the World Beer Cup and the Great American Beer Festival.



I've had the Eight Point IPA a few months ago, before I started taking notes on beer, so when I saw them in a "create your own six-pack" section, I figured what the heck, it is worth another shot. I've also had their award winning Vienna Lager on tap at Macado's here in Farmville and it was really good. 

As far as this IPA goes, it's quite good. It clocks in at a enjoyable 5.9% ABV. The smell of the yellow golden brew is a wonderful mixture of orange, grapefruit, lemon and other citrusy hops with some flowers and grass mixed in too. The taste follows with a nice bitter hoppy taste that is enjoyable. The hops are balanced out with some sweet notes, but they don't stick around too long. 

I enjoyed this one quite a bit the first time I had it, and on this revisit I still like it. I would recommend it to someone who is wondering if they would want a hoppy brew. It is not knock you socks off hoppy, but still gives you a little kick with good balance. 
 

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment